Share this article on social media!
Touring Senior Communities Post COVID-19
Finding the ideal assisted living community is one of the most important decisions you can make. As the Coronavirus has vastly impacted how potential new residents may properly assess a senior living community, North Star Senior Advisors would like to take a moment to explain how this affects you and your loved one during the tour process.
Normally, one of our senior living advisors would schedule and accompany you on tours in person to help determine if it was the right fit and ensure all your questions are answered. We also ask uncommon questions many forget to ask. During our visit, we would consider the quality of care that your loved one may receive, and what type of environment your loved one will enjoy on a daily basis and thrive in.
Now that COVID19 has quickly swept the nation, tours are no longer conducted in person but rather virtually via facetime, skype or any other video chat programs for the safety of their residents and staff. It’s important to consider what factors are ultimately important to you as well as ask the right questions, especially now that you cannot visit and see the community face to face prior to making a final selection.
A benefit of working with us is that we can assist in coordinating all virtual tours as well as ensuring your questions are being answered with accurate information. Our number one priority is to be your advocate during this time. Here is a list of common questions we highly encourage you to ask during a virtual tour:
- Are the staff members welcoming to residents?
- What is the food like?
- What is the policy for medical emergencies?
- Are monthly fees negotiable?
- How long is the wait list?
- What other questions do I need to address?
With this in mind, it’s now critical to ask additional questions now that physical tours have come to a halt:
- How will my loved ones safety be taken into consideration?
- Are you accepting new residents?
- Are movers allowed in the building?
- Can I visit my loved one after they move in?
- What are your isolation protocols?
- How are employees screened?
- Are visitors allowed and if so, how are they screened?
- How are residents receiving meals?
- Are any activities happening?
- Is there someone to assist in helping my loved buy groceries/toiletries?
- Have employees/residents been tested?
The decision of “if, when and where to move” resides solely with you and your loved one. Veteran owned and operated, North Star Senior Advisors is here to help you make a better-informed decision while providing a guided path to senior living at no cost. Our team is made of 25 years combined experience that are all Certified Dementia Practitioners. We have a nurse on staff who can perform a virtual clinical assessment and help determine which community can accommodate you or your loved one’s level of care.
As we help navigate these waters together, we remain in constant contact with the senior living communities’ updating protocols to keep you up to date. If you or your loved one is interested in senior living and coordinating a virtual tour, please contact a senior advisor today at 407-796-1582 or visit www.northstarsa.com.