Share this article on social media!
North Star Senior Advisors loves the holidays! We enjoy touring families at the local Assisted Living Facilities and admiring all the festive decor! We are planning our first ever Silver Stars blessing bags of cheer to deliver to those elderly assisted living residents who may not have a gift to unwrap this holiday season. With the holidays are around the corner, what better way to celebrate than by participating in some joyful holiday activities with our lovely seniors.
Here are “20 Senior-friendly holiday activity ideas” that can also be found on dailycaring.com
20 senior-friendly holiday activity ideas
15 Inside Activities
1. Make a holiday wreath – these are fun and festive
2. Decorate and fill stockings for the grandkids!
3. Make pomanders with oranges and cloves
4. Decorate the house with holiday cheer and ornaments
5. Prompt kids to ask about “the olden days” so they can learn about their grandparent’s youth
6. Play card games or board games
7. Enjoy listening to your older adult’s favorite tunes- Who doesn’t love holiday music?
8. Sing holiday songs together – try listening to holiday classics
9. Have a family movie night with popcorn, extra pillows, and warm blankets to cuddle under.
10. Enjoy tea or coffee together as a group
11. Bake cookies – try making yummy gingerbread cookies
12. Cook or prepare favorite holiday foods together
13. Have a gift wrap party – don’t worry if things aren’t perfectly wrapped, it’s the fun that counts!
14. Get your older adult’s help with holiday cards – writing, addressing, or sealing envelopes
15. Ask for their opinions or ideas while you’re shopping online for gifts
5 Outside Activities
16. Stroll around the mall and admire the holiday decorations – go early to avoid the crowds
17. Take a family walk around the neighborhood or through a local park and see all the holiday decor and lights!
18. Enjoy a delicious meal at a favorite restaurant
19. Watch a feel-good holiday movie or fun comedy in the theater
20. Take in a local play or musical
Hope these activates are able to get our seniors in the holiday spirit. One of the best feelings is seeing an elderly person smile. Let’s make it our duty to put a smile their face this holiday season.